As Belize’s tourism industry prepares to reopen to international travelers, new travel norms and guidelines have been put in place for the accommodation sector. The Belize Tourism Board’s (BTB) priority in the safety of both our visitors and community is of utmost importance, which is why new operating protocols for hotels and restaurants are being provided below. These guidelines have been approved by the Hon. Manuel Heredia, Minister of Tourism and Civil Aviation, and will serve as the foundation for addressing the new health and safety challenges presented by Covid-19.
In addition, the BTB is introducing the “Tourism Gold Standard Recognition Program”. This Program focuses on enhancing the hotel and restaurant cleaning practices, social interactions, workplace policies, and standard operating procedures, while ensuring minimal impact on the guest experience. For more information on this 9-point program and on the new policies, kindly see below.
Some of the enhanced protocols include:
- Identification of a Gold Standard Program Manager to implement and monitor the new protocols and act as the health liaison between the Ministry of Health, employees and guests.
- Enforcing social distancing and the use of face masks while in public spaces.
- Deployment of technology to provide for online check-in/out, contact-less payment systems, and automated ordering/booking systems to reduce physical interactions.
- Installation of hand hygiene and sanitizing stations across the property.
- Enhanced room cleaning and increased sanitizing of public spaces and high touch areas.
- Implementation of Reporting and Monitoring processes to provide for daily health and temperature checks for guests and employees. This includes Registering and implementing the use of THIS (Tourism & Health Information System).
- Development of a Response Plan to handle sick employees or guests.
- Training for all employees in the new protocols.
As the country continues to prepare for re-opening, Belize wants to assure its citizens and visitors, that their health & safety is of highest priority.
The complete Accommodations Protocols can be found on the Belize Tourism Board‘s Website.