Labour Complaints Tribunal
Belmopan. July 15, 2020. 4:10 p.m.
The Ministry of Labour, Local Government and Rural Development hereby informs of the establishment of the Labour Complaints Tribunal.
In accordance with the Labour Act, Chapter 297 of the Substantive Laws of Belize, Revised Edition 2011, Section 200, “A Labour Complaints Tribunal shall be established for the purpose of providing a fair and impartial appeal process arising from complaints of unfair dismissal or wrongful termination.”
Additionally, in accordance with paragraph one of the Schedule of the Labour Act, the Honourable Minister of Labour, Local Government and Rural Development has appointed the following persons as members of the Labour Complaints Tribunal for a period of three years with effect from March 1, 2020:
• Ms. Sheena Pitts, Attorney-at-law – nominated by the Minister and the Chairperson of the Tribunal
• Ms. Ashanti Arthurs-Martin, Attorney-at-law – nominated by the Chief Justice
• Ms. Marissa Longsworth, Attorney-at-law – nominated by the Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry
• Ms. Ella Waight – representative of the worker nominated by the National Trade Union Congress of Belize
• Ms. Anne Marie Thompson – Commissioner of Labour, ex-officio
As the Labour Department continues to collaborate with employers and employees to promote good industrial relations, fairness, impartiality and tripartism, the Department looks forward to providing full support to the Tribunal for the mutual benefit of all.
The Ministry thanks all its stakeholders and partners who have contributed to making this a proud accomplishment for Belize.