Belize is well-known for its fresh sea food. A crowd favorite is conch. There are many ways to prepare this mollusk, you can stew it, fry it up, or make it into a fresh ceviche. Here is a great recipe for mouth-watering conch fritters by El Fogon Restaurant courtessy of Ambergris Today.
- 1 lb conch
- 1.5 tbs. baking soda
- 1/2 lb. flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 small sweet pepper
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 habanero peppers
- black pepper
- oil for frying
- Place onion, sweet pepper, garlic cloves, habaneros and eggs into a food processor to finely chop.
- Put conch in the food process and chop into medium-sized chunks.
- Combine both chopped mixtures and add salt and pepper to taste along with the flour, baking soda and milk. The end result should be a semi-thick consistency. If you need more milk, don’t be afraid to add a little more.
- Heat oil to about 375 degrees farenheit. Drop a tablespoon of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and drain.
- Serve immediately with tartar sauce or other dipping sauces.